One young Catholic family on a Journey towards Intentional and Communal Sustainability. One Artist, one full time Mama and two babies, we'll tell you about all our successes, and failures, as we try to make it in our overly Consumeristic society on just the bare necessities.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year, New You, New Digs for Me!

This is my New Year's post- about 4 days late, but hey!  I'm here!  And I have an excuse, I promise!

My Sister-in-law was gracious enough to give us her old computer that she couldn't figure out how to donate.  So for the past week or so I've been trying to figure out how to create my own work space and get it all set up for me down in the family/play room.  It's done!  At least for now.  I think I'll need a different desk in the future, and good thing they opened a new IKEA near me, because I found one in their online store that fits my dimensions for only $20!  So yeah, I'm pretty excited.  If I were to be writing this in the office upstairs at the old computer, the girls would practically be on top of me.  Actually, no, most definitely they would both be in my lap trying to type.  Or else I'd have to have a show on the tv to keep Charlotte distracted for a few minutes, but then still Beatrice would be at the desk.  See, our office is just not kid friendly right now.  It's also my sewing room and the TV room. There's too much going on, but more on that in a minute.  For now, let me tell you, as I type this Charlotte is practicing putting her shoes on and off while cuddled with books on the couch, and Beatrice happily playing with blocks at my feet. I have a working space that's both Kid and Mom approved!


Back to the New Year's thing, I want to add that Joey and I are making this blog, and his future artist's website, a major priority for the coming year.  I don't believe in the New Year's hype (Why on earth is midnight on the 31st fireworks worthy?  Especially wake up the babies fireworks worthy?  just doesn't make sense, right?)  But I know when to jump on the bandwagon when I see a good one. And January 1st (or 5th) is as good a day as any.  So you'll probably start seeing some big changes and a lot more little ones around here.  We're working on some new challenges for ourselves, and most importantly, we're praying about what direction God wants to take our little family (and of course, when we know, we'll tell you first!).  But just an idea of what we're looking at, here's the list of books that Joey recieved as Christmas presents this year:

"You Can Farm" by Joel Salatin
"Composting: In and Out" by Stephanie Davies
"Mini Farming- Self Sufficiency on 1/4 acre" by Brett L Markham
"Farm Anatomy" by Julia Rothman (This was actually a present from my cousin and his wife to our daughters, and I'm sure they're really going to enjoy it- AFTER Joey and I are done reading it ourselves!  It's beautifully illustrated and very informative... a kind of introduction to farm life with pictures)
A Kindle book guide from 1904 on growing your own mushrooms
"The Self Sufficient Home" by Christopher Nyerges
And there are a few more that I couldn't find to give you the specifics on.  I'm sure Joey's off somewhere with a stack reading his heart out.  I honestly have never seen him read so much!  Not even during college!

And also, we've signed up and are reading a lot of articles over here at Farm Dreams.

We're also both working on our health.  Joey's in the process of some elimination diets to try and determine if he has an allergy/intolerance for some different foods.  This isn't a blog about health or special diets, so I won't go into details now.  If he wants to, he can later.  My goal is to get my body back in shape after 2 back to back pregnancies.  Our specific goals are 1) Less sugar and NO HFCS (we're already pretty limited here, but we could be better), 2) More family walks/swims (I will be teaching swimming lessons again to some friend's children, and maybe I'll be able to get some laps in as well) 3) Better Planning.  This last one is actually our biggest set back.  Joey and I are very much "Fly by the seat of your pants" kind of people, and not being able to just pick up and go when a roast is defrosting, and it's equally as frustrating to get back from a day of wandering to realize it's 4:30 and I have no dinner plans whatsoever.

Also, we're working on debt.  More specifically, we're working on keeping our very tight budget in line.  Remember, Joey's still technically unemployed, although his Studio business is finally picking up!

That being said, we're also working on the Studios.  Joey has monthly Art show's downtown with several other artists.  The 3rd show will be this weekend, January 6-8.  We'd love to see you there if you're in the Denver Metro area!

And remember when I rearranged my dining room and made it into a prayer room?  Well, we have made the decision to do something equally as drastic upstairs. I'm going to take pictures of my incredibly unorganized rooms and then HOPEFULLY pictures of beautifully organized afters to share with you our budget makeover.  We're going to buy paint, maybe, and that's it.  But I think it'll make the biggest difference of our lives.

Other than finally getting rid of the carpet in the family room over Thanksgiving- just in time for potty training!

Our Life, and Our Live Active Culture are moving forward in a beautiful direction.  I hope yours is too!

What are your Plans for 2012?  What did you do in 2011 that you want to do better in the New Year? 

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited for you and getting to hear about it all! My husband and I are making changes this year too. I'm continuing to work on my health. And more importantly I'm working on my spiritual life. Church will be a priority. I hope that once I am a full member of the Church that I will be more able to get involved with other activities at Church, maybe helping with the kids. New years are awesome. They always come with a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have that little $20 desk! It's a great size and it is set up for cords and wires. Love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MileHiMama- that's so good to know! It's hard sometimes to buy things from places like Ikea that could be awesome or could be crap and not really know until you get it home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan- I never understood how New Year's was a clean slate for anything but your fiscal year (and not even that sometimes!). My hair is still the same drab, my relationships are still in the same place they were the day before, all's really the same, except our attitude is looking forward instead of back. and maybe that's the most important thing of all!

    ReplyDelete