One young Catholic family on a Journey towards Intentional and Communal Sustainability. One Artist, one full time Mama and two babies, we'll tell you about all our successes, and failures, as we try to make it in our overly Consumeristic society on just the bare necessities.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pizza Biscuit Lunch

Hey Guy!  I guess you're probably wondering where we've been. Well, here's the answer.

Joey and I are part of a Catholic Artist's Group that puts a Art and Cultural event on once a month called Aggorniomento (look it up! It's Latin).  We had a show the first weekend of January, and then had a group meeting last weekend.  From that, we're going big time.  Here's the Blog I just started for us.  Come check us out in February if you live in the Denver Metro area.

Next, because a new semester has begun, I've been working hard to get Joey's website up and running for new students.  Here's the link, which you can also now find on our sidebar.  It's still in the works, but the main stuff is up. If you or someone you know is interested in art lessons, we'd love to hear from you!

So with all that crazy website/blog creation going on, I've neglected you!  My poor little blog.  But don't worry, I have cute pictures and a easy lunch recipe for you today.  (I knew you wouldn't worry!)

We had our Artist's meeting here at our house on Saturday, and I made sausage patties, bacon, and biscuits while one of the other artist's brought fruit and a delicious egg bake.  It was quite the spread!  But we had so much food that we had a lot more biscuits leftover than I expected.  I put them in a gallon Ziploc baggie, but by the time Monday rolled around, they were pretty stale.  Not bad, just... not biscuity anymore.  So, rather than composting them, or turning them into breadcrumbs (because I'm bursting at the seams with bread crumbs since I forgot to put any sweetener in my honey bread one day!) I made lunch instead.  Here's my Pizza Biscuit recipe.  It's incredibly kid safe- Charlotte LOVED having individual, toddler sized pizza.  And she's learning her shapes, so having circles for lunch was a fun surprise (usually it's square sandwiches or triangle quesadilla- or eggs, which have no shape!  we don't have a lot of variety in lunch around here).  Also, it happens to be delicious.  I love the way the stale biscuits made a flakey crust, but they didn't fall apart like fresh biscuits probably would.  Although I bet you could make them with leftover's from breakfast if you just cut them in half and let them sit on the counter for an hour or so.

Pizza Biscuits
ingredients:
as many leftover biscuits as you have.  I use this recipe from Lisa Leake's blog.  She has some great stuff there!
olive oil
1 small jar of homemade tomato sauce you canned last summer. :)  or store bought if you didn't
Italian seasoning mix with basil
salt and pepper
mozzarella cheese
(if it were summer and/or my window basil plants were doing better I would have added fresh basil instead of dried.  that would have been awesome!)

Split your biscuits in half through the middle (like you're going to spread butter on the inside) and leave them on the counter for a few hours if they aren't stale already.  They don't need to be rock hard, just no longer soft.


Spread them out on a cookie sheet
Drizzle a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over each biscuit. Olive Oil is a good friend with tomatoes nutrient wise, I've learned.
Dab a little spot of tomato sauce
Sprinkle some spices
Add a pinch of shredded mozzerlla on top

Place in a preheated oven at 350 for 6 minutes,
Then switch it on to broil for 2 minutes. 
and enjoy!


OH, and by the way, we're also potty training. Yeah.  So in the middle of writing this post I was interrupted at least 4 times to go visit the "froggie potty". 

2 comments:

  1. When you were little, and when I was litte. we used english muffins. My mother served these for breakfast as a way to encourage us to eat before school. I remember making these for you and wondered if you remember that too? love, mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incidentally, its not Latin, its Italian, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete