One young Catholic family on a Journey towards Intentional and Communal Sustainability. One Artist, one full time Mama and two babies, we'll tell you about all our successes, and failures, as we try to make it in our overly Consumeristic society on just the bare necessities.

Friday, October 14, 2011

FauxBucks Pumpkin Spice Latte!

I did it!  I said I would try, and I did- all month I've been working on my "Pumpkin Spice Latte".  Something I didn't tell you was that I wanted to make it as easy as I could.  So easy that a mom with a baby on one hip and a toddler tugging at your skirts can make it.  Now, can you enjoy it?  That's up to the babies!

Speaking of which, as I was typing that first sentence, Beatrice woke up from her nap.  Intermission already?  I've only had 1 sip!

Anyway, I splurged this month on 2 Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks to remember just how delicious they are.  But they're also pumped (literally) full of sugars- mostly HFCS I'm sure, and other goos that only Mr. Starbucks himself can ponder as he wrings his evil little hands.  "Good, good," he says, "I will have them all addicted, and they'll pay me buckets of money to pump them full of corn and chemicals!"  Almost as evil as Mr. Marlboro?  Maybe!

So, I decided to make one myself.  A friend sent me a recipe that had these ingredients:
Coffee, pumpkin flesh, maca, fresh milk, banana, pumpkin spice, vanilla, stevia, and salt


Some of that sounds awesome, some of that sounds weird (banana?  in my coffee!?), and then, what the heck is Maca?


But all that is too hard for the time crunched mom like me.  Maybe mine won't taste JUST like FiveBucks, but it will be delicious and you will LOVE to wake up to this beauty.


What You Need

My egg beater looks like this- only way cooler
  • Delicious home brewed coffee of your choice.  I use a french press and love it, but do what you gotta.
  • Fresh Whipped Cream. (Raw if you can, non-UHP if you can't)  Seriously, like 1/3 cup cream per cup of coffee.  I whipped it by hand this morning with my brand new egg beater that I found at goodwill for a buck!   I'll take a picture next time I have 2 hands that aren't filled with delicious coffee and a baby.
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Ground Cloves
  • Ground Ginger
  • Allspice
  • About a tablespoon of raw, unfiltered honey
What You Do
  • Get your extra large, empty coffee cup (you can order one from us like the one in my picture here) and put NOTHING in it (What I mean is don't pour your coffee in yet.  Leave it empty- this is actually hard for me, I am usually in such auto drive at this point in the morning!)
  • In a medium sized bowl, whip your fresh cream with your own choice of whipping apparatus.  I like my new egg beater because it doesn't take forever, but it doesn't over-whip it like my stick blender does.  And it doesn't mean a lot of clean up either!
  • When you've got soft peaks, add a spoonful to the bottom of your coffee cup, along with half of your spices.  You can add as much or as little as you'd like of each to your own taste.  My only suggestion is to add MORE ginger than you think you want, and only a very, very small amount of the ground cloves.  Like 1/4 teaspoon or less.  Just a sprinkle really.
  • Add coffee to about 3/4 of the cup, while stirring in that whipped cream.  Then keep adding whipped cream a tablespoon at a time, stirring in between each until there are no chunky spots but only smooth creamy goodness.  Reserve about 3-4 tablespoons of Whipped Cream.
  • Top your coffee with the reserved whipped cream, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and then drizzle honey off a spoon onto the top of your coffee.  About half way through your spoon drizzling, stick the spoon down the side of your coffee and let it sit there without stirring (yet).  If you like sweeter coffee, add 2 tablespoons, or 3, I don't care!  But honey, use HONEY!  This is the key to making it deliciously sweet like Starbucks without it being uber-nasty-sticky-coat-your-mouth sweet from HFCS.  
Maybe I'll try adding a little bit of mashed pumpkin next time I have some laying around (which will be Monday because it's on my meal plan for dinner that day) but since most people don't want to get up in time to fresh roast a pumpkin for their coffee, I'm leaving it out of my recipe.  Having the spices plus honey does enough for this girl!

Oh, and vanilla?  I've tried making the coffee with vanilla this month, and it didn't seem right.  Maybe I was adding too much?  I'm not sure.  But I'd like to try adding it again, but instead of putting it in the coffee, whipping it into the cream.  This is my first time using whipped cream instead of just fresh liquid cream, so there's always room for improvement.

Have any suggestions?  Questions?  Let me know!  And be sure to enter our 1500 giveaway over here.  And if you ask real nice, maybe Joey'll upgrade you to a pumpkin mug just for fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment