We have a plethora of unripened, green Tomatoes. I'm also up to my eyeballs in roasted green chiles that I got at the farmer's market on Monday. So, what to do about this dilemma? Make Pesto!
What? Isn't Pesto just Basil and nuts? Not this pesto!
Green Chile and Green Tomato Pesto
2 green tomatoes
1 - 1 1/2 green Chiles- roasted, seeded, and skinned
|Roasted, skinned, seeded and split|
another handful of pine nuts (crispy-fied)
2 small chunks of Parmesan cheese
about a 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
- Wash your Basil, wash and slice your tomatoes and chile.
- Put your Basil, Salt, Black Pepper and Pine Nuts in the food processor- process for a few seconds.
- Add your tomato and chiles, pulse another few seconds
- add the Cheese and EVOO. Another few pulses.
- Taste to make sure it's the right spice level for you- add more chile for more heat, more tomato for more bulk or more basil to even out the spice. If it's too spicy, too bad. There's no going back, so add your chiles a little at a time if you care about this. Although a cup of milk with dinner might help.
- Top your favorite food! We did pasta (a special treat for the toddler in the house who thinks pasta is likened to candy since we've cut back on grains!) but it would be good on pizza, spaghetti squash, etc. Tell me what you topped with it!